Sunday, November 6, 2011

It's been a while!

Hi everyone!
 Hope you all are still out there.  We are doing well.  There has been a lot of adjustment in the last month but I think we have finally found a rhythm.  After many calls to the insurance company Ken is back to doing all of his therapy at National Rehab starting this week.  The Metro access van picks him and Barbara (our live -in caregiver) up and brings them back usually without incident but sometime a littlle late.  Barbara is a welcome addition to our home bit it does take some getting used to having someone to help out around the house.  I know we all say we want someone to assist us but it is hard to ask someone to do things for you.  I am adjusting though :)  For me it is a lot of planning.  I had to start a whole calendar just for Ken's appointments.  Work is still very supportive and flexible and I am figuring out that it can't all be done in a day.

Speech is still very difficult for Ken but we are figuring out new ways to communicate.  It is often frustrating for both of us but we have agreed to have patience with each other.  We get out and do things, just the two of us still even it is small stuff.  This morning we headed to Target where I introduced him to the miracle that is the motorized scooter.  He scoffed at it at first but then he realized that he could zip around the store on his own and it was fine!  His driving skills are still pretty good! 

I feel calmer than I have before. I am gaining weight though so I intend to get back into someone's gym this week.  There is one very close in the neighborhood and hopefully it is cheap!

Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment