Sunday, March 11, 2012

March 11, 2012

Well it has been quite a while and so much has happened in the last 5 months.  We have had a full time caregiver up until last week.  In the end I think she was a bigger help to me than to Ken.  We have only been by ourselves for a week and he is doing much better than I am.  We will find our routine soon I am sure and I will relax.  Every day Ken does something that shows me that he is recovering.  As I write this he is in the office/guest room with me listening to music on his iPhone!  Yes I finally convinced him to join me in the iLife!  This is the first time he has wanted to listen to music since the stroke.  Before the stroke he listened to his music all the time. every now and then he is singing along with the music which is going to help him with his speech recovery. 

My adjustment has been a little rougher.  For the last 5 months I could go to work and not worry so much because Barbara was here with him.  If something was wrong she would call me. Now Ken can call me but he can't tell me or anyone else if something is wrong.  I have lots of technology in place. I can track his location through the iphones, he has a alert system responder on his key chain that brings a live person on the line with him when he presses it. I can Facetime him through the phone so I can see him and he could show me if something is wrong.  Even with all this I am still nervous.

For the last 5 months I have only had to buy the food.  Barbara took care of the cooking and cleaning.  I am having some difficulty adjusting to planning meals again and figuring out how the floors are going to get vacuumed.  I found this first week to be overwhelming.  My first breakdown was last Sunday after Barbara left and then I had mini episodes every other day.  Thank God we have good friends and family who can assist.  I have to get better at saying when I need help though! 

We are going to Michigan for a week on March 22nd.  I can't wait!  I have not been home in a year.  That is the longest period in my entire life! 

Writing this feels good.  I am returning to blogging as of today.  I hope I still have some followers out there.
Talk to you soon!
Michele

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, I just read your whole journey in one sitting! Your love and strength is inspiring. Know that support and love are all around you, too! I'll be reading and commenting to remind you of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please know you both will continue to be in m prayers

    ReplyDelete